Otology Japan contribution rules
Instruction for authors
- Submission is limited to members of the Society and this applies also to coauthors. If coauthors are nonmembers, other rules are applied. Please address inquires to the Society.
- Only papers in Japanese or English which have not been published elsewhere can be submitted. The manuscript should be submitted with a letter of undertaking signed by the first or corresponding author(s) stating that this submission is not double or concurrent and has the consent of all authors regarding the transfer of copyright. When submitting a manuscript that is likely to be multiply published, clearly stating this fact in the written pledge is necessary (visit https://jams.med.or.jp/guideline/jamje_2022.pdf ). The pledge form should be a photocopy of the form published in the journal or that available on the website. The author(s) must also download the pre-submission checklist from the website and attach the completed form with the manuscript. Both the pledge and the check sheet are required files for submission via the ScholarOne Manuscripts (https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/otoljp) electronic submission review system and should be uploaded together with the manuscript.
- Format of papers
- Organize the paper in the following order: title page, abstract page, text, references, figures and tables.
- Title page: The title page must contain the title, authors’ names, departments and institutions, and a running title of no more than 40 characters. The name and the full address of the corresponding author and the number of reprints required by each author must be included. The birth date of the first author is also required for the paper to be eligible for selection as the most excellent paper.
- Abstract: The abstract must be an informative summary not exceeding 400 words. A maximum of five key words should be included on the same page.
- The manuscript should be double-spaced and typed with a font size of 12 points or larger on A4 or letter size papers. All margins should be at least 20mm. Finally the total number of words in the paper should be indicated.
- Use 2010 JOS classification and conductive reconstruction in the main text, and add IOOG categorization of tympanomastoid surgery in parentheses in the abstract (see the web site).
- The length of the manuscript should be less than five printed pages including figures and tables. Papers exceeding five printed pages require the consent of the editorial board. Five printed pages is equivalent to less than 3000 English words. The width of figures and tables should be in the range of 84 mm or 175 mm, and the length should be a maximum of 240 mm. 84 mm×120 mm. Figures and tables should be of a size equivalent to 150 words of English text.
- Any investigation on human subjects must be in accordance with Declaration of Helsinki. Otology Japan requires authors to state that the investigators have obtained written informed consent from each participant or each participant's guardian. For experiments involving animals, authors must state in the Method section that the animals were handled in accordance with the guidelines prepared by the Animal Use Committee of the institution.
The protocol of the investigation must have been approved by the Institutional Review Board and authors must state so in the Method section of the manuscript. A patient’s anonymity needs to be preserved.
- When authors use artificial intelligence (AI) and AI AI-assisted technologies (e.g.,ChatGPT) in the research or writing process, authors should not list these technologies as an author or co co-author. Authorship implies responsibilities and tasks that can o nly be attributed to and performed by humans. Authors must disclose the use of AI and AI AI- assisted technologies by adding a statement in their manuscript, except when using these technologies to improve readability and language, such as grammar or spelling spelling.
- Illustrations and figures: Illustrations should be professionally drawn or photographed and supplied in the form of glossy black-and-white photographic prints. Each illustration and figure must be accompanied by a figure number, size reduction, magnification (photomicrographs), an arrow indicating the top, and the location of the figure in the text. Legends for illustrations and tables must be typed on a separate sheet. Printing of color photographs is possible, but at added cost charged to the authors.
- Conflict of interest and funding: Authors must state any actual or potential conflicts of interest in the manuscript, including any financial, personal or other relationships with other people or organizations that might bias their work. If there is no conflict of interest, this should also be stated as none declared.
- Financial disclosure information: Authors should acknowledge in the manuscript any financial support provided by companies toward the completion of the work and other financial or personal connections to the work. If the funding source(s) had no such involvement then this should be stated.
- References: References must be listed in the order of citation and numbered accordingly, and should not exceed 20 papers. Each reference must contain the authors’ name (three authors followed by “et al.” when there are more than three), paper title, name of the journal, volume, page and year.
Example for listing journals :
1) Kaga K, Sakurai H, Ogawa Y, et al.: Morphological changes of vestibular ganglion cells in human fetuses and in pediatric patients. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 60：11–20, 2001.
Example for listing books :
2) Tos M, Lau T: Long-term hearing results in cholesteatoma. In: Long-term results and indications in otology and otoneurosurgery. (Eds. Charachon R, Garcia-Ibanez E) Kugler Pub. Amsterdam, 1991. pp.89–94.
- Manuscripts exceeding ten printed pages may be published only as a supplement.
- The manuscript should be submitted online as a MS-Word file (.doc or .docx) with an attached Power Point file (.ppt or .pptx) at ScholarOne Manuscripts (https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/otoljp). Within the manuscript text, references to Figures and/or Tables should be indicated in red.
- Electronic supplementary materials to be published online at J-STAGE can be submitted along with manuscript files. Each file size should be 50 MB or less. If an article includes supplementary material, it should be referred in the text as “See supplementary movie 1”. Handling charge of ¥1,100 per file will be charged to authors
- The first galley proof will be sent to the corresponding author. Corrections should be minimal, and tables and figures should not be revised.
- Reprints must be ordered at a minimum quantity of 50 and in multiples of 50 thereafter. The cost of reprints will be charged to the authors.
- Acceptance for publication is based on the recommendation of referees selected by the editorial board.
- The cost of publication will be charged in accordance with the following rules.
- Four printed pages of original papers will be free of charge.
- Printed pages exceeding 4 in number will be charged to the authors. Additional pages will incur a cost of ￥10,000 per page.
- In the case of urgent publication, all printed pages will be charged to the authors.
- The entire cost of publication of a supplement, i.e., the cost of the paper, printing, bookbinding, proofreading, and distribution, will be charged to the authors.
- The costs of illustrations, tracing and other piecework will be charged to the authors.
- The cost of correcting the English in the manuscript will be charged to the authors.
- Authors are responsible for the cost of re-producing color figures.
- Copyright of the published paper belongs to Japan Otological Society.
c/o Nakanishi Printing Co., Ltd.,
Shimodachiuri Ogawa Higashi, Kamigyo-ku,
Kyoto 602–8048, Japan
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org